Tuesday, 6 October 2026

STORY 1156 — ENGINEER


Last week, I attended my second child's graduation ceremony in the southern part of Malaysia.

It was a proud moment—celebrating his perseverance, excellent academic results, and successful completion of his studies at the MARA Junior Science College (MRSM), beginning in Sandakan and later continuing his studies at another MRSM in the south.

During the award presentation, I found myself waiting to hear whether any of the students had dreams of becoming an engineer.

Alhamdulillah, one of the students did.

He wanted to become a mechanical engineer.

That simple statement made me genuinely happy.

Last year, I had the opportunity to participate in a career session at MRSM Kuala Terengganu. The careers that attracted the most attention were becoming a pilot and a business owner.

Not many students wanted to become engineers.

Yet Malaysia is expected to need around 60,000 professional engineers by 2030.

The numbers behind this aspiration are somewhat concerning. According to data from the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) as of August 2026, there were around 237,000 registered graduate engineers in Malaysia. However, only 10,685 were registered as Professional Engineers.

At the same time, statistics from ILMIA indicated that in Q2 2025, there were 78,342 vacancies related to TVET, representing approximately 27.8% of total job vacancies. The occupations identified included engineers and technicians in mechanical, electrical, electronic, civil and chemical industries.

The Malaysia Education Statistics 2025 also showed that students' interest in STEM increased from 40.95% in 2021 to 50.83% in 2024.

But the bigger question remains:

How many of these students will eventually continue their studies and build their careers as engineers?

Today, we also hear people saying that engineering is a scam.

Spend four years at university studying engineering, only to graduate and receive a salary of less than RM3,000.

So, is engineering really a scam?

For me, the answer is no.

Hearing that a student still dreams of becoming a mechanical engineer reminded me that there are still young people who are not completely influenced by social media—where we constantly see stories of influencers building wealth and becoming millionaires almost overnight.

What is often missing from those stories are the years of struggle, failure, discipline, sacrifice and perseverance that came before the success.

Of course, there are influencers who are genuinely outstanding. Khairul Aming is one example. What I find interesting is that he himself did not deny the value of his engineering education. He studied mechanical engineering at university, built his early career in logistics, and only later devoted himself fully to his passion and became a successful influencer and entrepreneur.

The world is changing extremely fast.

Even global conflicts have entered a different phase. Ballistic missiles capable of travelling thousands of kilometres, drones, advanced weapon systems and sophisticated technologies are reshaping the nature of modern warfare.

Behind all these technologies are engineers, scientists and technocrats.

This is where engineers and technocrats become important in steering the direction of a nation.

We need engineers in various fields—not merely to fill vacancies, but to build a technocratic nation and, more importantly, a nation of creators and innovators.

If someone asks me:

“Why did you choose to become a mechanical engineer?”

My answer would be simple.

Since I was young, I enjoyed building things and helping my mother around the house. Perhaps my mother once prayed that I would become an engineer.

When I entered university, mechanical engineering was not my first choice.

It was actually my third choice, after medicine and electrical engineering.

But I was offered a degree in mechanical engineering, and I graduated with that qualification.

After graduation, I left university life completely and focused on one thing:

finding opportunities and building my career.

I moved between several workplaces before eventually settling into the palm oil industry.

Throughout my career in the palm oil industry, I focused on building important competencies—Steam Engineer, Internal Combustion Engine Engineer, and a Diploma in Palm Oil Milling Technology and Management.

Later, I continued my studies at MBA level and pursued various other competencies, including Lead Auditor for ISO, MSPO and Train the Trainer, among others.

I learned that in every career, there will always be examinations, certifications, competencies and professional requirements that we must go through according to the field we choose.

But after more than 22 years working as an engineer, I have come to understand that engineering is not merely about machines, calculations, drawings or technical knowledge.

For me, engineering is about building systems.

Throughout my career, I have built systems at the workplace—whether related to safety, processes, reliability, productivity, or simply making it easier for people to perform their work.

And there is a principle in Islam that has always resonated with me:

When we make things easier for others, Allah will make things easier for us.

Even when given authority, I must always remember that leadership is an amanah.

The fundamental qualities of the Prophet Muhammad SAW—Siddiq, Amanah, Tabligh and Fatanah—remain important principles for me.

Above all, I try to follow the example of Rasulullah SAW, who was known as Al-Amin—the trustworthy one.

He did not deceive people.

He spoke the truth.

And he carried his responsibilities with integrity.

As engineers, we are sometimes given the responsibility that directly affects people's lives.

That is a very great amanah.

If removing a thorn from a road can be considered an act of goodness, imagine the reward when we create a system that can prevent an accident and save the life of a worker.

That is why, after more than 22 years, I am still an engineer.

Not because engineering is simply a job.

But because engineering gives me the opportunity to build systems, solve problems, make people's work safer and easier, and ultimately serve humanity.

Perhaps that is the real answer to the question:

Why am I still an engineer?

Because behind every machine, every process and every system, there is a human life that deserves to be protected.

That is my story today.

No comments:

Post a Comment