Everyone standing on that stage that day had a story of their own.
Some people come into our lives only for a short while, yet leave an impression that remains with us for the rest of our lives.
That is the story of Ir. Ong See Boon in my career journey.
I first met him when I was entering my third year of service at Morisem Palm Oil Mill B. At that time, he had just been appointed as the General Manager of the Engineering Group Department at the company level. Before joining our company, he had served with a prominent GLC in the country and brought with him decades of experience in the engineering profession.
From the very first day I met him, I was drawn to his character.
Not because of the title “Ir.” before his name, but because of his humility.
At that time, I was still a young engineer with big dreams. One of my ambitions was to become a Professional Engineer. Having a leader who had already achieved that goal made me feel as though I had found the right person to look up to as a mentor.
He never spoke to me like a boss.
Instead, he spoke like a father guiding his son.
Every word was delivered calmly. There was no raised voice. No ego. Yet every piece of advice carried a deep meaning.
Like rain falling onto soil that had been dry for a long time, his words slowly sank into my mind and became part of the foundation of my career.
However, our time working together did not last long.
Not long afterwards, he moved to another company. Despite that, we maintained our relationship. Whenever I faced challenges in my career, I would contact him to seek his advice and perspective.
One piece of advice from him that I have never forgotten was:
“Do not become an engineer who only understands machines. Learn to manage people as well. If engineering is a science, management is also a science—the science of managing people.”
At the time, I simply nodded.
But more than a decade later, when I found myself holding various leadership positions, managing teams, resolving conflicts and developing people and organizations, I finally understood the true meaning behind his words.
I realised that a great engineer is not simply someone who is good at solving technical problems.
A great engineer must also learn how to understand people.
Time continued to pass.
The demands of life and our respective careers eventually caused us to lose contact for many years.
Until last weekend.
After a small “mission to reconnect”, I finally managed to obtain his phone number. We arranged to meet in Shah Alam.
The moment I saw him walk in, I felt as though I had travelled back in time and become that young engineer who had once learned so much from him.
Today, he is 75 years old.
He still drives himself.
He is still active as a consultant.
He is still articulate.
His thinking is still sharp.
Although he underwent heart surgery almost a year ago, his spirit and enthusiasm for life remain remarkable.
We talked for several hours.
About the old days.
About how the engineering profession has changed.
About the challenges faced by the younger generation.
And about life.
Before we parted, he gave me another piece of advice—perhaps more valuable than all the engineering knowledge he had ever shared with me.
He said:
“No matter how far we go in our careers, and no matter how much wealth we accumulate, as we grow older, make sure our family is always by our side. Do not spend the remaining years of your life alone, without your family.”
The words were simple.
But the more I thought about them, the deeper their meaning became.
That very evening, he told me that he was planning to take his wife out for dinner to celebrate her birthday.
I smiled when I heard that.
Perhaps that is the true definition of a successful life.
Not merely the position we hold.
Not merely the title “Ir.”
Not merely the decades of experience we accumulate.
But when we reach the later chapters of our lives, there is still a hand holding ours.
There is still someone waiting for us to come home.
There are still children and family who give us a reason to smile.
I came to meet a mentor to remember the past.
But I went home carrying a new lesson about the future.
Thank you, Ir. Ong See Boon.
Some teachers teach us how to build a factory.
But great teachers teach us how to build a life.
May Ir. Ong See Boon and his wife be blessed with continued good health, happiness, and many more meaningful years together.
That is my story today.


No comments:
Post a Comment