The COVID-19 era, which began in 2019 and continued until the end of 2021, created many stories and experiences for all of us. I was no exception.
After spending 15 years in the upstream palm oil industry, I made a significant transition into the downstream sector, working in a solvent extraction plant and physical refinery in Sabah before eventually moving to Peninsular Malaysia.
This was the first time I had begun my career in Tanah Melayu after almost 15 years of wandering and building my professional life across Sabah and Sarawak. It was a very critical turning point in my career.
I had joined a new company and, not long afterwards, was transferred to Peninsular Malaysia. Less than a year after I settled in Negeri Sembilan, the world was shaken by the COVID-19 pandemic. Malaysia, like many other countries, introduced new regulations and Movement Control Orders (MCO).
However, because our industry was part of the palm oil sector, our factories were allowed to continue operating. Palm oil is an important food commodity and an essential sector that contributes to feeding people around the world.
During that period, movement was extremely restricted. Meetings were conducted online, and there were times when we had to work from home under the WFH arrangement.
After spending such a long period living with restrictions and limited movement, I made an important decision: I decided to continue my studies at the PhD level.
I enrolled at Kolej Universiti Islam Selangor (KUIS), which has since been renamed Universiti Islam Selangor. Interestingly, the Director of Postgraduate Studies at the institution was my senior during my university days at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM).
I chose the topic Communication in Islam because of my deep interest in the subject. Communication had become something I practised not only in my daily life but also throughout my professional career and leadership journey.
During the COVID-19 period, I travelled regularly to KUIS, which was only a few kilometres from my home, located near the border of Nilai 3.
As I have shared in my previous stories, I started my life as an introverted person. However, my career gradually demanded that I speak, communicate, lead people, and interact with individuals from different backgrounds.
Over time, something changed within me.
I eventually fell in love with the idea of becoming a leader who could communicate effectively.
After several years of actively participating in the Toastmasters Club in Sabah, I felt that this was the right time to further my studies in the field of communication.
And because Prophet Muhammad SAW is the greatest example and role model for humanity, I believed that there was no better source of guidance than studying the communication methods demonstrated by the Prophet himself.
As Muslims living in the final era, we have been blessed with the teachings and examples left behind by Rasulullah SAW. I wanted to understand more deeply how the Prophet Muhammad SAW communicated, guided people, corrected mistakes, led communities, and demonstrated the highest standards of character and morality.
And so, my journey as a PhD student began.
A supervisor was appointed, and I started collecting academic journals related to my chosen topic. Eventually, I gathered almost 500 journals on the subject of Communication in Islam.
I read them one by one.
I extracted important information.
I analysed their contents.
And I wrote summaries to help develop my research proposal.
From one journal to another, from one researcher to the next, and from studies conducted around the world—particularly from neighbouring Indonesia—I gained tremendous exposure and knowledge about the extraordinary character and communication of Prophet Muhammad SAW.
The deeper I went into my reading, the more I discovered something about myself.
When I looked back at my own life, I realised that I had made many mistakes in the way I communicated with other people.
There were many principles of communication that I should have practised as a Muslim and as a follower of Prophet Muhammad SAW.
Slowly, a sense of realisation and repentance entered my heart.
I began to feel deeply regretful about some of the ways I had communicated in the past. I realised that knowledge about communication was not simply about speaking confidently, influencing people, or becoming an effective leader.
Communication was also about character.
It was about respect.
It was about patience.
It was about wisdom.
And above all, it was about akhlaq.
By the time I entered my second semester in the middle of 2021, my professional journey once again took an unexpected turn.
I was transferred to Pasir Gudang, Johor.
Later, towards the end of the same year, I was transferred once again—this time back to Lahad Datu, Sabah.
These frequent transfers inevitably affected my commitment to my studies.
Eventually, I made the difficult decision not to continue the research.
I needed to focus my attention and energy on my new responsibilities at work in Lahad Datu.
And once again, I returned to Sabah.
That was the third time I had found myself returning to the land that had played such an important role in my career and life journey.
Although I did not complete my PhD research, the knowledge I gained during that period was never lost.
The lessons I learned about the character and communication of Prophet Muhammad SAW remain deeply rooted in my heart and soul.
I may not have completed the PhD journey.
I may not have earned the title of “Dr.”
But the journey gave me something that perhaps was even more valuable.
It gave me awareness.
It taught me humility.
It made me reflect on my weaknesses.
And it reminded me that true knowledge should not simply remain in books, journals, proposals, or academic papers.
Knowledge should transform the person who seeks it.
Until today, I carry those lessons with me.
And as much as possible, I continue trying to practise the communication principles and noble character taught by Prophet Muhammad SAW in my daily life.
Perhaps I did not finish my PhD.
But the journey itself taught me lessons that will remain with me for the rest of my life.
And that is my story today.

No comments:
Post a Comment