Early that morning, I woke up as usual before Subuh. After taking a shower, I got ready for the morning prayer after waking up my two youngest children. I packed my things into my backpack and then left the house.
That day, I sent my fourth child to school. While occasionally waiting for the line of cars to move along the road, I asked my second daughter what her target was for UPKK and where she would like to go for secondary school later. Every answer came back with the same response: “I don’t know.”
After dropping her off at school, I continued my journey to the nearest car workshop. However, the workshop was still closed, so I changed my plan and stopped for breakfast at a nearby mamak restaurant.
After waiting for quite some time and finding that the workshop still had not opened, I decided to continue my journey to Putra Business School at UPM. A few lecturers whom I had contacted were not in their offices, so I went straight to the third floor of the PBS building to collect my matriculation card.
It was also my first opportunity to meet some of the administrative staff whom I had previously known only through WhatsApp. It was interesting to see several staff members gathering to recite the morning zikir together. I was also informed that I was the first student among those registered for the same course to come and collect the matriculation card.
After completing my business at PBS, I continued to the car workshop in Sri Serdang. Upon arrival, the car was taken into the workshop to have all four worn-out tyres replaced. While waiting, I opened my laptop and spent the time reading several dozen emails and attending to a few work-related matters.
As promised, about an hour later, the car was ready.
I then continued my journey towards KLCC. Before noon, I had parked the car. Only then did I realise that I had made a mistake with the location. The actual venue was the KLCC Convention Centre, not KLCC itself.
With the sun directly overhead and wearing a rather thick suit jacket, I pushed myself to walk across KLCC Park towards the Convention Centre, about 900 metres away.
When I finally reached the lobby, I realised there was actually a shuttle service operating between KLCC and the Convention Centre for participants. Well, I had already walked the distance.
The convention centre was already crowded with visitors, exhibition booths and college students who had just arrived. I took the opportunity to take a few selfies in front of the banners and posters that had been prepared for the event.
After registering, I entered the hall and made my way towards the auditorium where the programme was scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m.
The programme began with a speech by the President of the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM), highlighting the six pillars of IMPACT 2030:
Innovation, Membership, Professionalism, Advocacy, Collaboration and Transformation.
It was the beginning of another day of learning, networking and witnessing the engineering profession come together under one roof.
No comments:
Post a Comment