There are moments in life that divide our journey into two parts: before and after. For me, that moment came in the middle of 2021, during the second phase of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Looking back, perhaps the warning signs had been there all along.
For more than fifteen years, I had worked in the palm oil industry, travelling countless kilometres along rough gravel roads to remote plantations. Long hours behind the steering wheel had become a normal part of my life. Then came COVID-19. Like millions of others, I spent nearly two years working from home, sitting through endless online meetings with very little movement. Age was catching up with me too, although I rarely admitted it.
I thought I was doing just fine.
One ordinary weekend, I cleaned the house, worked in the garden, and cooked lunch for my family. It felt like a productive day. Afterwards, I decided to lie down and have a short rest.
Then, everything changed.
Without warning, an unbearable pain shot through my lower back. Within seconds, I collapsed onto the living room floor. I tried to move—but I couldn't. Even the slightest movement sent waves of agony through my body.
Panic set in.
I called my wife. Then my friends. An ambulance soon arrived.
The pain was unlike anything I had ever experienced.
Because Malaysia was still under strict COVID-19 restrictions, I had to face the hospital alone. My wife and children could not visit me. Those three days felt much longer than seventy-two hours.
For three days, I could barely move. I couldn't even walk to the toilet without assistance. The pain was relentless, and the loneliness was equally difficult. There were moments when I simply stared at the hospital ceiling, thinking about life.
After several days of lumbar traction treatment, something extraordinary happened.
For the first time, I managed to stand.
They were only a few small steps to the toilet, but to me, they felt like climbing a mountain.
I had never appreciated the simple act of standing, walking, or moving until that day.
On the fourth day, I was discharged.
When I reached home and saw my wife and my children waiting for me, something deep inside me changed forever.
I asked myself a question that many of us avoid.
"What if I don't wake up tomorrow?"
That single question reshaped my priorities.
I realised that I had spent years building a career, solving problems, chasing deadlines and responsibilities. Yet I had often postponed taking care of the one asset that made everything else possible—my health.
That day, I made a promise to myself.
I would take better care of my body.
I would lose weight.
I would exercise regularly.
I would not wait until illness forced me to appreciate good health.
But the lessons went beyond physical fitness.
I promised myself that I would spend more quality time with my wife and my children.
I would visit my parents, relatives, and friends more often.
I would stop wasting energy on arguments, pride, and unnecessary conflicts.
Life is simply too short to carry unnecessary burdens.
Instead, I wanted to do more good.
To help more people.
To forgive more quickly.
To smile more often.
To appreciate every sunrise, every conversation, every meal shared with family, and every opportunity to make someone's day a little brighter.
I also promised myself something I had always dreamed about.
I wanted to see the world.
Not because I wanted to escape life, but because I wanted to experience it fully.
Every country has a story.
Every journey teaches a lesson.
Every destination reminds us how precious our time really is.
Today, my back is much better.
But the greatest healing was never my spine.
It was my perspective.
Sometimes, life does not need to take everything away to teach us what truly matters.
Sometimes, all it takes is one painful moment on the living room floor to remind us that every heartbeat is a gift.
Since that day, I no longer measure success only by promotions, achievements, or material possessions.
I measure success by the moments I share with the people I love.
By the kindness I leave behind.
By the memories I create.
By the lives I touch.
Because one day, none of us will remember the meetings we attended, the emails we sent, or the deadlines we met.
But our family will remember the time we spent with them.
Our friends will remember how we made them feel.
And the world will remember not what we owned, but what we gave.
If my experience has taught me anything, it is this:
Never wait for a hospital bed to remind you that your health is priceless.
Never wait for loneliness to remind you that your family is your greatest treasure.
Never wait for a close call with life to start truly living.
Every morning we wake up is another chance.
A chance to love.
A chance to forgive.
A chance to grow.
A chance to make today meaningful.
Because life is not measured by the number of years we live—
It is measured by how deeply we live each moment we are given.
No comments:
Post a Comment