Monday, 24 August 2026

STORY 1128 — WORK–LIFE BALANCE


When I moved to Miri, Sarawak, in 2008, I met a colleague who would later become a good friend and an important influence in my professional life.

Our company operated two palm oil mills in Sarawak, and he was the Mill Manager at Kanawit, Sibu. Interestingly, he was also from Kelantan and married to a Sabahan from Labuan. Naturally, we had quite a lot in common.

But what really stood out about him was his sense of humor.

After more than twenty years in the industry, I believe every engineer needs one essential quality besides technical competence: a good sense of humor.

Our technical responsibilities are serious. We deal with machinery, steam, pressure, electricity, production targets, breakdowns, safety, and people. There is always something that can go wrong.

That is why humor matters.

Sometimes, a good laugh is not just entertainment. It is a way of releasing the pressure we carry.

My friend had previously worked in a palm oil refinery before joining the palm oil mill operation. That experience made him technically sharp and intellectually quick. He could discuss serious matters with great depth, yet suddenly turn a conversation into something hilarious.

One day, he asked me a question.

“What percentage of your commitment do you give to the company?”

I looked at his face. I couldn't tell whether he was being serious or making another joke. There was a smile on his face, which made the question even more difficult to interpret.

I answered confidently:

“My previous company was IOI. So my commitment is 101%.”

He immediately burst into laughter.

“Wow, boss! That's impressive. Mantap!”

Then I asked him the same question.

He became quiet for a moment.

Then he answered:

“At most, 75%.”

We both fell silent.

At that time, I thought his answer was simply another joke.

But strangely, I continued thinking about it for years.

Why 75%?

It took me years to truly understand what he meant.

We have 24 hours a day, seven days a week and 365 days a year. How much of that time should really belong to our company?

The answer is obvious.

Not 100%.

Work is only one part of life.

We have responsibilities to ourselves, our families, our faith, our health, our personal development, our communities, and ultimately, to God.

Every part of life has its own rights.

The lesson slowly changed the way I managed my time.

Working in a palm oil mill is not a normal nine-to-five job. A mill operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. As engineers responsible for operations, we sometimes have to respond whenever the mill needs us.

At two in the morning, the phone might ring because someone needs approval for a critical operation.

On weekends, we may have to return to the mill to supervise high-risk work.

During festive seasons, we may still need to be at the mill because someone else deserves the opportunity to return home and celebrate with their family.

The cycle continues throughout the year.

That is simply part of being responsible for a 24/7 operation.

But outside those responsibilities, I began to realise that my life had other purposes too.

Whenever I had free time after working hours, I started investing it in myself, my family, my faith, and personal development.

During my four years in Miri, I completed the competency requirements for the First Grade Steam Engineer Certificate and the First Grade Internal Combustion Engine Engineer Certificate.

I also sat for LISP Level 1 and Level 2 examinations and continued my education by pursuing an MBA.

And whenever the weekend gave me some breathing space, I brought my family out to explore Sarawak.

We visited numerous national parks across the state. We joined activities organized by friends and acquaintances. We travelled, explored new places, met new people and experienced things that were completely outside the boundaries of my work.

And most importantly—

I enjoyed it.

Looking back today, perhaps that was what my friend meant when he said his commitment was only 75%.

It was never about giving less to the company.

It was about understanding that the company is not the whole of life.

Give your best to your work when you are at work.

But when you leave the workplace, remember that you are more than your job title.

You are a person.

You are a husband or wife.

You are a parent.

You are a friend.

You are a child to your parents.

You have a body that needs rest, a mind that needs learning, a soul that needs nourishment, and a family that needs your presence.

Work may pay the bills.

But life is much bigger than a payslip.

Perhaps true work–life balance is not about dividing our time equally.

It is about giving every responsibility its rightful place.

And sometimes, the wisest engineer in the room is the one who knows when to work at 100%—

and when to stop at 75%.

That simple conversation in Miri stayed with me for years.

Today, I understand it.

Work hard. Serve well. But never give your whole life to the company and forget to live.

That my story today.

No comments:

Post a Comment