Restriction on employment of unregistered person to provide engineering service
24A. (1) No person shall employ a person, sole proprietorship, partnership or body corporate, other than a registered Engineer or an Engineering consultancy practice, to perform professional engineering services.
(2) Nothing in subsection (1) shall prohibit the employment of any person holding one of the certificates referred to in section 7(3) to do all things which the certificate enables or authorizes him to do.
the above provision is self - explanatory in that prohibits anyone from engaging other than registered engineers to carry out professional engineering services.
Professional engineering service as defined under Act :
"Professional engineering service" means engineering services and advise in connection with any feasibility study, planning, survey design, construction, commissioning, operation, maintenance and management of engineering works or projects and includes any other engineering services approved b the board;
professional engineering services consists of 3 major branches;
1. Engineering services related to engineering works or projects
2. Engineering advise related to engineering works or projects
3. Any engineering services approved by the Board
The engineering services or advice related to engineering works or projects include ;
- Feasibility study
Most of the above have their normal meaning of the words except for 2 items which require clarification and action.
- Survey - this will include investigation and visual inspection other than the meaning of land survey and building survey.
- Management - this is the area that is frequently exploited by non - engineers e.g . CIDB which may not employ qualified engineers are commonly allowed to manage government projects.