Sunday, 16 August 2026

STORY 1120 — SUSTAINABLE PALM OIL MILL – Part 5: Steam Boiler


When I graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) in 2003, I had never seen a real steam boiler, let alone understood its operation in depth. I had only learned about boilers and thermodynamics through theory in the classroom.


Everything changed on my first day at a palm oil mill.


I quickly learned that the boiler was one of the most important pieces of equipment in the entire mill. Without a properly operating boiler, the palm oil mill simply could not run.


During the following weeks, my senior colleagues began introducing me to the importance of the Steam Engineer Certificate of Competency issued by the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (JKKP). At that time, two years of practical experience working with boilers was required before a candidate could sit for the competency examination.


Because of the critical role of the boiler and the importance of the competency certificate, I began to focus seriously on learning everything I could about boiler operation.


After completing my routine rounds around the mill, one of my favourite places to end up was the Boiler Station. I asked the boilermen countless questions about operations, regulations, the purpose of every piece of equipment, and, most importantly, how to operate the boiler safely.


Fortunately, the boilermen were generous with their knowledge. They were always willing to share their experiences with a young engineer who was eager to learn.


A palm oil mill normally operates according to the availability of fresh fruit bunches (FFB). Once all the fruit has been processed, the mill will eventually stop. This means that every day we started the boiler, operated the mill, and stopped the boiler late at night or in the early hours of the following morning.


After the morning safety briefing, everyone would begin their daily routines and shift duties.


We started by reviewing the maintenance reports. Were there any problems with pumps, conveyors, motors or other machinery? Did the problem require immediate repair, or could it wait until the monthly shutdown day, usually on the first day of the month?


Together with the Production Executive, Maintenance Executive, supervisors and workers, we would visit each problem area and assess the situation.


Once everything was under control, the mill would normally begin full operation around 9:00 or 10:00 a.m.


That was why my manager called the period between 8:00 and 10:00 a.m. our "Productive Hours." Those were the hours when important work had to be completed and problems resolved.


All executives, engineers and supervisors were expected to be inside the mill, supervising operations and ensuring that everything was running safely and smoothly.


As a young cadet engineer with almost no practical experience, I simply followed the movements of my senior colleagues. I watched, listened and asked questions—sometimes about the smallest things.


In the afternoon or evening, I would read more to deepen my understanding. I also recorded what I had learned in my logbook.


I kept that logbook carefully for many years. Almost 20 years later, I even handed it to a young engineer as a reference.


I wrote down everything that caught my attention—even the different types of belts used in the mill. I would sometimes draw them in my logbook because, at that time, everything was new and fascinating to me.


Page after page, the logbook slowly became filled with observations, drawings, technical notes and lessons.


Years later, I felt extremely proud when my boss, a Professional Engineer, reviewed the book. Seeing his signature inside my logbook gave me tremendous encouragement.


Then came the moment when the mill was ready to start.


After the supervisor gave the instruction to the boilerman and engine driver, everyone gathered at the Boiler Station.


For me, it was like watching a carefully rehearsed performance.


The boilerman and his team began the step-by-step process of starting a 45 MT/hour steam boiler.


There were two 45 MT/hour boilers standing proudly at the station. At that time, they were only about two years old.


Meanwhile, the Engine Driver started the 500 kW diesel generator set to provide the electrical power required to initiate the mill's operation.


The boiler also had one of the largest motors in the entire mill—the Induced Draft (ID) Fan, rated at more than 100 kW.


The boilerman then instructed the shovel operator to feed mesocarp fibre mixed with palm kernel shell into the fuel elevator.


The fuel began moving upwards, accompanied by the noise of vehicles, conveyors and machinery operating around the mill.


I still remember the smell of fresh mesocarp fibre piled beside the boiler.


For some reason, that smell gave me energy.


Perhaps it was because I understood that without that fibre, the boiler would not operate—and without the boiler, the entire mill would remain silent.


I watched the fuel elevator chain and scraper conveyor carefully as they moved the fuel step by step towards the furnace.


Eventually, the fuel entered the furnace, which was already hot from the previous day's operation.


There were three fire doors. From time to time, the boilerman would open one of them to inspect the combustion.


As the fire became stronger, the furnace temperature gradually climbed to around 700°C.


Heat began transferring from one stage to another—heating the boiler tubes, transferring energy to the water and eventually producing steam in the upper drum.


The furnace draft had to be carefully maintained, around -5 mmWC, to minimise the risk of backfire.


The Secondary Fan, Fuel Feeding Fan, Forced Draft Fan and ID Fan each played their respective roles in controlling combustion and maintaining the required draft throughout the furnace and flue gas system.


Finally, the flue gas passed through the multi-cyclone dust collector.  where particulate matter was removed before the cleaned gas was discharged through the tall boiler chimney.


Over the years, environmental regulations governing air emissions had become increasingly stringent. A multi-cyclone dust collector alone was no longer sufficient for many applications, and additional tertiary dust collection systems were introduced.


Among the technologies used in the industry were Electrostatic Precipitators (ESP), Bag Filters and Wet Scrubbers.


These systems also brought additional competency and operational requirements, including personnel trained through relevant institutions such as EIMAS.


I remember looking towards the boiler chimney as the dark smoke gradually disappeared.


The boiler was now running properly.


The pressure reached approximately 24 barg.


The stage then shifted from the Boiler Station to the Engine Room.


If the boilerman had been the main character during the first act, now the Engine Driver took centre stage.


He began opening the approximately 10-inch steam valve to supply steam to the turbine system.


The steam was introduced gradually, allowing the system to warm up slowly and safely.


He checked the steam traps to ensure they were functioning properly and carefully monitored the pressure gauges throughout the system, particularly around the Back Pressure Receiver.


Eventually, steam was supplied to the 2,000 kW steam turbine.


Many palm oil mills use a Woodward governor system to control turbine speed and operation. The governor may be relatively small compared with the turbine itself, but its role is incredibly important.


I used to think of it as the brain controlling the body.


Under the careful hands of the Engine Driver, the turbine speed was gradually increased until it reached the required operating speed—typically around 3,000 RPM, although some turbine configurations can operate at speeds of up to 7,000 RPM.


Once the desired speed was achieved, the Engine Driver moved to the Main Switchboard.


The frequency of the diesel generator and turbine alternator had to be synchronised at **50 Hz** before the electrical load could be transferred.


Slowly, the electrical load was shifted to the turbine, starting from around 100 kW and gradually increasing to approximately 600 kW.


Eventually, the diesel generator could be shut down.


The entire mill was now being powered by the steam turbine.


From that moment, everyone began moving to their respective stations to start processing the fresh fruit bunches.


Steam from the Back Pressure Receiver was supplied to the Sterilisation Station, Pressing Station and Clarification Station.


Other sections followed.


The Empty Bunch Station started operating.


The Kernel Plant came alive.


One conveyor after another began moving. Motors started turning. Machines started running.


The mill, which had been quiet only a short while earlier, was suddenly filled with a symphony of mechanical sounds, steam, smells and human activity.


Supervisors and workers moved around, coordinating their respective tasks.


Once everything was running smoothly, I would often return to the Boiler Station.


The boilerman would still be there, carefully monitoring the parameters displayed on the main control panel.


I loved looking through the small sight hole into the furnace.


Inside, the flames appeared to dance happily as they generated the enormous heat required to keep the mill alive.


Even from outside the furnace, I could feel the heat on my face.


By then, mesocarp fibre had already arrived from the processing area. The shovel operator would take over the fuel-feeding duties, allowing the boilerman to focus on monitoring the boiler.


After several hours of intense work, the boilerman could finally relax a little.


We would talk about the boiler, the mill and life in general.


Eventually, a few of us would walk to the canteen for morning tea.


Every now and then, I would look back towards the Boiler Station.


The chimney was now releasing much cleaner exhaust.


Occasionally, steam could be seen escaping from the condensate chamber when the fireman carried out a boiler blowdown.


Looking to the left, the Sterilisation Station was also releasing steam from its condensate chamber.


That was the unmistakable sign that the cooking of the fresh fruit bunches had begun.


Fuh!


What an exciting sight.


What a satisfying feeling.


The palm oil mill was now fully alive and operating.


For a young cadet engineer who had only known boilers from the pages of a thermodynamics textbook, standing there and watching an entire palm oil mill come alive through steam, fire, water, pressure and electricity was an unforgettable experience.


That was where my real education began.


Not in the classroom.


But beside the boiler.


That is my story for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment