If I were the CEO of a company, I would use the current ratio to assess whether the company has enough short-term assets to meet its short-term financial obligations.
The formula is:
Current Ratio = Current Assets ÷ Current Liabilities
For example, if my company has:
Current Assets = RM10 million
Current Liabilities = RM5 million
Then:
Current Ratio = RM10 million ÷ RM5 million = 2.0
This means the company has RM2 of current assets for every RM1 of current liabilities.
How I would interpret it as CEO
A higher current ratio generally indicates stronger short-term liquidity because the company has more current assets available to pay its debts. However, an excessively high ratio may also indicate that assets such as cash or inventory are not being used efficiently.
A lower current ratio indicates greater liquidity pressure. If the ratio falls below 1.0, current liabilities are greater than current assets, which may make it more difficult for the company to meet its short-term obligations.
As CEO, I would therefore not look at the current ratio alone. I would also examine cash flow, inventory turnover, accounts receivable collection, and industry benchmarks to understand the company's actual liquidity position.
In summary: The current ratio helps me determine whether my company has sufficient short-term resources to meet its short-term obligations and provides an early warning of potential liquidity problems.
No comments:
Post a Comment