Throughout almost half a century of my life, I have always believed in the importance of having mentors.
I grew up as a kampung boy and eventually left my village at the age of 16. Since then, I have always been searching for mentors in life—people who could become sources of motivation and guidance as I journeyed through a life filled with mystery, challenges, struggles and trials.
Because of that search, I have been fortunate to meet many remarkable people along the way. Some of their words remain fresh in my heart and mind, becoming a kind of provision that I carry with me throughout life.
It is true that I am only human. I have made many mistakes along the way. But sometimes, the words of a mentor are enough to bring me back to the right path.
One of the stories I would like to share is about how a few simple words from a teacher have stayed with me for more than 30 years.
One day, after class at Maktab Rendah Sains MARA Kuala Terengganu, many students started rushing into the Cooperative Shop located on the ground floor beside the main hall. The cooperative was directly below our classroom on the second floor.
I was one of them.
Amid the lively crowd of students waiting for their turn to choose, order and pay for their things, I caught sight of my J1 homeroom teacher, Puan Khairiah, an English teacher who was always friendly, warm and welcoming, with a smile on her face.
I approached her and greeted her.
Perhaps just to fill the time while waiting, she suddenly asked me an unexpected question:
“Zul, when you grow up, what do you want to be?”
Caught off guard by the spontaneous question, my mind immediately searched for an answer.
Without thinking too much, I replied,
“An engineer!”
The truth is, becoming an engineer had never been my dream during secondary school.
I actually wanted to become a doctor because I was fascinated by Biology, which was taught by Cikgu Nik Zainun.
But for some reason, that day, when I was suddenly asked the question, I chose to answer, “An engineer.”
Then she replied,
“Then become an engineer who has faith.”
Simple words.
Softly spoken.
But they became deeply engraved in my heart and soul—and they remain there to this very day.
Looking into her sincere eyes, accompanied by that warm smile on her face, somehow made my heart burn with enthusiasm. I began to think seriously about what she had just said.
Time passed.
I went through the express matriculation programme and later repeated my studies at Universiti Sains Malaysia. Eventually, I was selected to pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering, although my academic results were just enough to get me through.
I graduated and began my career as a young man who was only beginning to discover the world outside.
After spending a year moving from one workplace to another, I eventually entered the palm oil industry.
And once again, I met several mentors who would influence my journey in the industry.
Throughout my career, I have had to make countless decisions. And whenever I faced difficult situations, those words about becoming “an engineer who has faith” would somehow come back to me.
When I was confronted with difficult challenges as an engineer, one question would arise:
“Is this the behaviour of an engineer who has faith?”
When I became too occupied with work and began neglecting my five daily prayers, the same question would return:
“Can this really be called a person who has faith?”
When someone placed an envelope containing illicit money in front of me, the same words would appear in my mind.
When anger began to take control of me during conflicts and the pressures of work, the question would come again:
“Is this the character of an engineer who has faith?”
Yes.
Those simple words shaped me deeply as an engineer—and more importantly, as a person.
Sometimes, those words have forced me to stop and reflect on myself.
To look at my own weaknesses.
To acknowledge my mistakes.
To examine the things I have done wrong.
And to remind myself that I must always strive to become a better person.
This month, Hjh. Khairiah will begin her retirement after almost 36 years of dedicated service to the children of MARA.
She is one of the people I consider an idol in my life.
A teacher whose simple words became a source of motivation, a reminder, and a personal principle that I have carried with me for more than three decades.
Looking back, I realise that sometimes we may never know how deeply our words can affect another person's life.
A simple question.
A simple answer.
A few simple words.
Yet they can remain in someone's heart for decades.
“Become an engineer who has faith.”
Thank you, Hjh. Khairiah, for those words.
Thank you for making a young boy feel inspired to become something better.
I pray that Allah grants you continued good health, blessings and His mercy throughout the rest of your life.
And thank you for once making me feel so inspired to become an engineer who has faith.
Perhaps that is what truly matters in life—not only what we teach people, but how we make them feel.
That is my story today.

No comments:
Post a Comment