“When you grow up and start working, never take bribes, okay?”
I was completely puzzled. At that time, I did not even know what a bribe was. I did not understand the meaning of corruption, nor did I understand why my sister was already warning me about it when I was still only a schoolboy.
But somehow, her words stayed with me.
I grew up during the era when PAS came to power in Kelantan under the leadership of the late Tok Guru Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat. In the 1990s, Tok Guru began building a unique legacy in Kelantan, bringing changes and reforms in many aspects of life.
For decades, Malaysians were accustomed to seeing a Menteri Besar wearing a songkok, tie and suit. Suddenly, the country witnessed, for the first time, a Menteri Besar who appeared in a turban and traditional Islamic robes. It was something very different from what people had been used to seeing.
When I entered secondary school, I began to witness how Tok Guru transformed Kota Bharu in various ways. One of the most iconic legacies was the weekly Friday religious lecture at Medan Ilmu, which continues to this day.
As a teenager, I knew very little about politics. I simply grew up listening to Tok Guru—whether through his religious lectures or during his political campaigns.
One of his routines was to perform congregational prayers at different mosques. Whenever I had the opportunity to see him at Masjid Al-Ahmadi in Kampung Tebing Tinggi, I would feel excited. Meeting him, even briefly, was something special to me.
Tok Guru often reminded people that every deed we perform in this world will eventually be accounted for in the Hereafter. For him, religion and politics were never separate.
I remember hearing him explain that candidates for the Kelantan State Legislative Assembly should not be smokers. His reasoning was simple but profound: if someone knowingly engages in something forbidden every day, how can we expect that person to remain steadfast when entrusted with the keys to the state's wealth?
It was a powerful reminder that integrity begins long before a person receives power.
As I grew older, the meaning of corruption became much clearer before my eyes. Perhaps because my sister had planted that warning in my mind when I was young, I became particularly sensitive to issues involving bribery and integrity.
When I first began sitting for the Steam Engineer examinations, I occasionally heard other candidates talking.
“Is there any officer we can contact to make sure we pass?”
I never pursued such a possibility.
Instead, I focused on understanding the requirements, preparing myself and going through every legitimate process. For four certificates, I attended the examinations eight times. I failed several times before eventually passing—all without finding a middleman or using any illegal means to secure a pass.
Looking back, I believe those failures were part of the journey.
Later, when I was appointed as a manager at a relatively young age, did anyone ever offer me money in an envelope?
Yes. Many times.
And every time it happened, I remembered my sister's words:
“Don't take bribes.”
At that moment, the real question was no longer about the money.
It was a question of faith.
Indeed, God tests us in many different ways. The Western saying goes, “Easy money, easy go.” In Islam, we are reminded that unlawful wealth can corrupt the heart and become a source of harm to ourselves and our families. It can darken the heart, deprive our lives of blessings and become a burden in the Hereafter.
Those thoughts would come to my mind whenever I was presented with a thick envelope filled with money.
I would ask myself:
Is this amount of money worth risking my faith, my family, my dignity and my Hereafter?
Allah's warnings have been given to us for a very long time.
So, do we really want to challenge Allah?
Today, we may take the money and think that nothing will happen.
But tomorrow, or the day after, can we guarantee that Allah cannot return the consequences to us in the blink of an eye?
Integrity is not tested when there is nothing to gain.
Integrity is tested when temptation is placed directly in front of us.
Sometimes, the greatest victory in life is not receiving more money, a higher position or greater wealth.
Sometimes, the greatest victory is being able to walk away.
May Allah protect all of us from the sin of bribery and corruption. May He preserve our faith, bless our lawful earnings, protect our families, and fill our lives with His mercy and blessings.
And may we always remember:
A clean conscience is worth far more than an envelope full of dirty money.
That is my story for today.
No comments:
Post a Comment